NEO: The World Ends With You Gets a Surprise Release on Steam Today
Square Enix has dropped a surprise release for NEO: The World Ends with You on Steam today. The game first launched on July 27, 2021, for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch, then came to PC via the Epic Games Store on September 28, 2021 .
The Steam version includes some in-game bonuses, including the Legendary Thread Set and Reapers’ Game Survival Set.
Legendary Threads Set:
- Legendary Headphones (Greatly increases the item drop rate)
- Legendary Tank Top (Greatly increases Attack)
- Legendary Shorts (Shortens the duration the wearer is knocked down)
- Legendary Sneakers (Increases movement speed during combat)
- Legendary Music Player (Enormously increases HP)
Reapers’ Game Survival Set:
- Pin: UFO Rescue (Hold the button to slowly restore your team’s HP)
- Threads: Virupaksa Hoodie (Greatly increases HP)
- CD: Twister (NEO Mix) (Adds this song as a main menu music option)
The 10 Best Steam Deck Games
To celebrate the launch, NEO: The World Ends with You can be purchased at a 25% discount on Steam until October 25.
Square Enix’s financial briefing last year stated that NEO: The World Ends with You failed to meet sales expectations, even though it was well-received critically. Hopefully, the Steam release picks up some more sales for the game. Fortunately, Steam user reviews have noted that the game runs mostly well on Valve’s Steam Deck handheld.
“Game runs great on Deck. 60fps and around 12w without changing any settings. Some minor dips in battle, but I really do mean minor. For some reason the game defaults to having B as ‘Confirm’ and A as ‘Cancel’, so you might wanna change that in the settings,” explains user MarkDG.
In IGN’s NEO: The World Ends with You review, we said, “NEO: The World Ends With You successfully captures much about what made its predecessor so special, but it does so at the expense of its newer characters and stories.”
George Yang is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter @yinyangfooey