Salape’ Sunday: How to save money on your power bill | Lifestyle


Everyone could use some money-saving tips and tricks these days, and we’re sharing some from local and national experts.

We’ve previously shared energy-saving tips from Guam Power Authority in our PDN Ayuda Line, and we’ve got more from “Do Just One Thing,” a syndicated feature written by Danny Seo. His column features ingenious ways to live simply and affordably while doing something positive for the environment.

The following “Do Just One Thing” tips focus on how you can save money by optimizing energy-efficiency with your appliances.

Stock that fridge

Did you know that a full freezer is the most energy-efficient kind? The residual chill from frozen food keeps the temperature cooler, which means the freezer needs less energy to keep a low temperature.

If you don’t have a full freezer of food, consider saving ice packs to help keep things cool. Ice packs that come in meal-delivery kits are good ones to save; they’ll stay frozen, and when you need them, they ‘re ready to go.

Even simply filling a plastic container with water and letting it freeze inside can help, too.

Kill ‘vampire’ usage

A microwave oven is an energy-efficient way to reheat leftovers and make popcorn at home. But did you know that a microwave is used only about 70 hours a year to heat up food, on average?

That’s only about 1% of a year, while the other 99% of the time, it’s still sucking power from the grid in order to illuminate the display and be ready at the touch of a button.

In fact, this “vampire” power usage is roughly equal to having a lamp on 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When you’re not using the microwave, simply unplug it. You’ll recoup savings and help extend the life of the appliance, too.

‘Quick’ doesn’t always equal efficient

Dishwashers are designed to be as water- and energy-efficient as possible, which makes them a greener choice than washing by hand.

It may seem that opting for a “quick” or “one-hour mode” for your dishwasher would save energy, but it’s actually the opposite. Just like driving a car more slowly saves on fuel, energy efficiency for your dishwasher is gained by extending cycle times, which reduces both electricity and water usage.

A quick wash means more resources have to be used to gain the same performance in your machine.Got a question or suggestion? We want to hear from you! Send us your advice, comments and questions by email at life@guampdn.com or DM us on Facebook or Instagram @guampdn.



Source link

admin

Leave a Reply