• News

Man charged with three counts of manslaughter over fatal Louth crash

 data-srcset
Dundalk Courthouse, pictured in January 2020. Photo Credit: Adrian Crawley.

A 21-year-old-man has been charged with the manslaughter of three people who died in a fatal road traffic collision on the N1 at Carrickarnon in February of this year.

Keith Lennon of Forest Park, Dromintee, Co. Armagh was arrested and charged by Gardai on Tuesday evening (August 18) on three counts of manslaughter. Mary Faxton, Kevin Faxton and Bryan Magill were killed in the two-car collision on the northbound N1 carraigeway that occurred in the early hours of Saturday February 29.

Advertisement

Mr Lennon had previously been charged with dangerous driving causing the deaths of Mrs Faxton, Mr Faxton and Mr Magill. He is also accused of leaving the scene and not reporting the incident to An Garda Siochana.

Sergeant Freda McCague told the court that Mr Lennon made no reply when charged with the three counts of manslaughter.

A bail application was contested with Sgt McCague stating that it was highly possible that Mr Lennon may be a flight risk. Defence barrister Cathy Donald told the court that her client had been granted High Court bail on March 10 this year. St McCague confirmed that the defendant had not come to the attention of An Garda Siochana in the time since.

The court heard, as part of his bail conditions, Mr Lennon is currently not permitted to drive and that is he currently living with his grandparents in Dundalk, whilst under curfew. Sgt McCague told the court she understood Mr Lennon had been complying with his bail conditions and had surrendered his passport.

Ms Donald told the court that surety of €10,000 had been paid by his grandfather.

Presiding judge Bernadette Owens said the possible new sentence related to the three new charges brought against Mr Lennon were significantly more serious than the original charges. She refused to grant bail, saying the landscape had been considerably changed.

Judge Owens remanded Mr Lennon in custody to appear before Cloverhill District Court on Wednesday August 26 at 10am.

Producing quality local journalism takes time, costs money and needs resources. Support LouthNow.ie by making a recurring contribution and help keep local journalism open and available to those who need it. Click here to contribute.

Loading comments...