Ruairí Ó Murchú, Sinn Féin TD for Louth, says he will speak to the next Minister for Justice in a bid to establish commissions into the death of Seamus Ludlow, as his family’s campaign for justice continues this week.
A native of North Louth, Mr Ludlow was found shot dead near his home in Culfore, Dundalk on May 1 1976. His murder was never solved, with no individual ever charged with his death. His family, who claim the Gardai did not properly investigate the murder at the time, have led a decades long campaign seeking justice.
In 2006, the Barron Report recommended that two commissions of enquiry be established by the government to investigate the case but these have never been established. Just over four years ago, the Ludlow family launched a High Court case – aimed at compelling the State to launch a commission into the murder.
Speaking from the Criminal Courts of Justice in Dublin on Tuesday, Deputy Ó Murchú, who had joined members of the Ludlow family as they went before Court 16 of the Court of Appeal said, “This family has been denied the truth for over 40 years.
“It is outrageous that they have been forced to take legal action in an effort to establish the two Commissions of Investigation recommended by the Barron Report in 2006.
“I will be raising this case with the next Minister for Justice to urge the establishment of these commissions of investigation which would remove the necessity for litigation by the family and end their ongoing torment. Judgement on today’s hearing will be delivered at a later date and I hope it will be a positive result for this family.
The newly elected Dundalk-based TD also said that he will be urging the Garda Commissioner Drew Harris to fulfil the commitments he made to the Ludlow family in December. Late last year, Commissioner Harris met with members of the family for the first time – a meeting described by the family as “positive.”