Louth County Council chief executive Joan Martin and Dundalk Municipal District cathaoirleach Conor Keelan were on hand to officially mark the dedication of the Proclamation Room at Dundalk Town Hall on Tuesday evening.
The ceremonial event took place in the room formerly known as the council chamber meeting room – now the Proclamation Room due to its housing of a copy of the 1916 Proclamation which was originally presented to the Dundalk Urban District Council in 1959 by the Dundalk and District Old IRA.
In addition to the Proclamation itself which was donated by local man Peter McKevitt, a series of artwork curated by the Arts Service of Louth County Council to mark the centenary of the 1916 Rising are also now on permanent display in the room.
These include ‘For Our Future’, a large oil painting of the destruction of Dublin city during the Rising by Dundalk artist Paul Woods and ‘Dundalk Battalion’, a 2015 etching of Seamus Hanratty by his niece Alice Hanratty.
Blackrock resident Constance Short also features with her lino cut print entitled ‘Cailini na hEireann’ while Dundalk artist Carol Wallace was in attendance to see her 16 charcoal portraits of the Leaders of the Easter Rising’ take pride of place in the Proclamation Room.
Both Councillor Keelan and Joan Martin spoke at the dedication, with the local authority chief stating her hope that the room can be opened up to the public as much as possible to allow visitors to Dundalk Town Hall to admire the artwork on display.
The ceremony was also attended by councillors Emma Coffey, Maeve Yore, Mark Dearey, Anne Campbell and Ruairi O Murchu.