There will be no Halloween fireworks display in Ardee for the second successive year, with plans never on the table locally for the return of the popular family event.
There was no fireworks display in 2016, after late hopes that Ardee Rugby Club could host the event were dashed due to insurance issues. Ardee St Marys had previously held the event but were unable to last year due to work on their new stand at Pairc Muire.
Despite much work involving local representatives, Ardee Gardai and Ardee RFC the insurance problems meant the event could not go ahead. The issue was not discussed at local Municipal District level or Louth County Council level in 2017, with a return never likely.
When the necessary arrangements came to move the event last year, the lack of indemnity provision from the local authority left hopes of a display in tatters.
The event was free to attend for all and was annually funded by the former Ardee Town Council with assistance from the Ardee Traders & Business Association. Due to funding issues stemming from the change from Town Council to Municipal District, there was no fireworks display in 2014.
No event this year means there has been no Halloween fireworks in Ardee in three of the last four years. The display, which began in 2010, had been a huge hit with locals over recent years, attracting large crowds of families to see the fireworks.
“It’s a great disappointment that there will no fireworks in Ardee this year,” Dolores Minogue told ThisIsArdee.ie today. “It was a great event for the five years it ran. It was a very good display and it was contained, meaning it quelled the appetite of people to do their own fireworks – which creates it’s own problems.”
In the run up to Halloween, Louth County Council is reminding locals that the burning of waste is illegal and anyone holding a bonfire risk receiving a fine.
The council say the burning of waste is outlawed under the Waste Management Act & Air Pollution Act. The local authority say bonfires and the burning of waste present serious risks to both human health and the environment.
Warning that householders and businesses who provide waste for bonfire purposes may also face prosecution, they council want anyone who sees waste being stockpiled for bonfires to report it by calling 1890 202 303.