• News

Ardee projects boosted by Town and Villages funding

 data-srcset
Market Street, Ardee. Photo Credit: Adrian Crawley.
 data-srcset
This article originally appeared on ThisIsArdee.ie

€200,000 worth of funding will be ploughed into projects in the Ardee area courtesy of the government’s Town and Village Renewal Scheme, of which the latest tranche of funding was announced earlier today.

A total of €21.6 million is being spent nationwide, with over €775,000 being spent in Louth alone. Locally, €79,304 has been allocated towards road safety in Ballapousta, with footpaths set to be built around the church and graveyard.

Advertisement

DeeHub have been awarded €56,000 for a number of different schemes and initatives. Funding there will go towards purchasing equipment to provide a minimum standard for training programmes and community engagement for young people, families and the elderly.

It will also be spent on a training area to support training for long term unemployed, intergenerational unemployed and early school leavers. The funding will also be used to carry out a ‘health check’ which will inform and underpin a town centre plan for Ardee.

In Reaghstown, €32,127 has been secured to pay for the installation of a new lift and toilet facilities as phase two of the Reaghstown Community Centre build at Westerns GFC continues to develop.

Almost €30,000 has been awarded to Stabannon for footpath lighting and a new walking trail, while €100,000 has been provided for long awaited new footpaths in Dromiskin.

Ardee Funding – Town and Villages Renewal Scheme

  1. DeeHub (Training area, equipment, Health Check) – €56,000
  2. Ballapousta Road Safety – €79,304.80
  3. Reaghstown Community Centre – €32,137
  4. Stabannon Walking Trail/Lighting – €29, 872.80

Last year, Ardee was granted €72,250 for new signage around the town, improvements to roundabouts and new playground pieces which have been installed at the Fair Green in Ardee – all as part of the Town and Villages Renewal Scheme.

“The Village and Town Renewal Scheme is successfully supporting the revitalisation of towns and villages, making them better places to live and to work, and increasing their potential to support growing economic activity that we are seeing throughout the country,” Fergus O’Dowd said today. “County Louth is no exception to this and will benefit greatly from the funding delivered today.

“In order to take advantage of this scheme we are dependent on local stakeholders to come together and to decide which projects should be selected to apply for this funding. The money made available this morning will make a huge difference to rural Louth.”

Local Ardee Municipal District councillor Dolores Minogue aired her delight at today’s announcement. “This funding will go towards making these areas a more enjoyable place to live and enhance our wee area. It’s a great reward for all the local groups who work extremely hard and dedicate their time on a voluntary basis. I’m absolutely delighted,” she said.

The scheme is specifically aimed at small rural communities – towns and villages with populations under 10,000. In Louth, Ardee qualifies for funding, as does Collon, Tallanstown, Castlebellingham, Dunleer, Reaghstown and more. €10 million was invested nationwide as part of the 2016 scheme.

This year, 281 rural towns and villages across the country will benefit from over €21 million in funding under the Town and Village Renewal Scheme, part of the Government’s Action Plan for Rural Development. Minister for Rural and Community Development, Michael Ring TD made the announcement in Granard, Co. Longford earlier on Wednesday at the newly refurbished Butter Market which received funding under the 2016 Town and Village Renewal Scheme.

Up to 80% of the total cost for each approved project will be provided with today’s announced funding, with the remaining 20% being provided either through community contribution and/or the Local Authority.

Loading comments...