• Sport

Spirited Ardee fight back to make it two wins from two

Ardee RFC line up a penalty. Photo Credit: Adrian Crawley.
This article originally appeared on ThisIsArdee.ie

Ardee Rugby Club made it two from two in Leinster League Division 3 on Sunday afternoon, as Ben O’Brien kicked 15 points to help the Townparks men to a 30-20 win away to Swords.

O’Brien successfully kicked three penalties and two conversions, adding to tries from Conor Reilly and Cathal Bradley (2). Bradley and O’Brien’s efforts saw Ardee come from behind late on to take home maximum points.


Ardee came into the game off the back of an opening round 26-19 win over Garda RFC but injuries meant they were without many starting players. Many who did play were themselves suffering from knocks.

It was the hosts who put the first score on the board, successfully kicking a penalty after just two minutes. However, Ardee responded almost immediately.

Just six minutes later Conor Reilly got the first try of the game, scoring right under the posts. The conversion was successfully converted from O’Brien.

There was another quick response, this time from Swords, as they responded to Ardee’s opening try with two of their own.

First, a nice offload allowed them to down the ball in the corner, before the hosts doubled the pain for Ardee by powering through to score from 5 yards. After the two tries, the home side lead 15-7 with 22 minutes gone in the half.

Importantly it was to be Ardee who finished the stronger in the first half. A scrum was turned over by the visitors allowing centre Cathal Bradley to run the ball in for the team’s second try of the game. Once again, O’Brien was on target from the tee.

There was just time for a final score in the half as O’Brien again found the middle of the posts with a successful penalty kick. Ardee went into the break 17-15 in front.

Swords started the second half well, responding with a converted try, but Ardee were to be too strong for their opponents today.

O’Brien tied things up, splitting the posts with another successful penalty, before Bradley put Ardee back in front with the visitors’ third try of the day.

Predictably O’Brien converted the kick and even had time to give Ardee some breathing room before the end. The 20-year-old scored a late penalty to seal a 30-20 victory. It was a tough, spirited performance from a depleted Ardee side.

Loading comments...