• News

Council CPO another Dawson’s Demesne property

The property in Dawson's Demesne, Ardee.
This article originally appeared on ThisIsArdee.ie

Louth County Council have filed another Compulsory Purchase Orders on a home in Ardee, the third such CPO in the space of five weeks in the town.

The local authority announced today their intention to purchase the property at 12 Dawson’s Demesne. Last month, they council announced they had CPO’d another house in the estate – 1 Dawsons Demesne, as well as 13 Campbells Park.


Recently, Louth County Council said they intend to “aggressively pursue” vacant social housing units as part of their efforts to deal with the shortage of available housing in Ardee and across the county.

Councillors at the September Ardee Municipal District meeting held three weeks ago were told that the local authority were working towards greatly reducing the number of vacant properties around Louth – using Compulsory Purchase Orders and Rebuilding Ireland’s Buy-and-Renew schemes.

“Wherever we feel there is a housing need, we will continue the CPO process,” Director of Services Joe McGuinness said at the meeting. McGuinness also urged councillors – and local people – to involve themselves in the process by notifying the council about any vacant properties in the area, social or private properties. “I would recommend any councillor that sees a vacancy in their area, get on their phone and send it into the housing department.”

They can do so via VacantHomes.ie a website which allows people to nominate vacant properties in a secure and anonymous fashion. All people have to do is fill in address details about the property, and upload some images via phone. “It will feed itself back to us and then we can investigate that,” he said.

A Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) is a notice received by a landowner stating that their land or property is going to be compulsorily purchased by a state agency, such as a local authority – in this instance Louth County Council – or National Roads Authority. This can occur when land or property needs to be purchased in order to develop or upgrade roads and infrastructure, erect ESB lines, lay gas pipe lines, etc.

Local councils can also use CPO’s to take control of vacant properties in an area, with a view to carrying our repairs and renovations for making the property suitable for social housing.

Loading comments...