• Sport

Westerns and Mitchels set up Kevin Mullen Plate final

Trevor O'Brien, Tony Kelly, Anthony Durnin, Robbie Coyle and Glen Matthews. Photo Credits: Adrian Crawley.
This article originally appeared on ThisIsArdee.ie

There’ll be a local derby in the Kevin Mullen Plate final as Westerns GFC and John Mitchels set up a final showdown with last four victories on Friday evening.

Westerns GFC put their league woes behind them to clinch their place in the final showpiece by overcoming Wolfe Tones – but they did it the hard win, coming out with a one point victory courtesy of a last gasp score from Trevor Baylon – 1-13 to 3-06.


Conor Kerr, Ciaran Scriven and Andrew Kerr’s early points but the Reaghstown men in front before the away side took the lead with a quickfire point and goal. Terenece Sweeney got his first score of the half and just prior to the break, Ciaran Campbell’s goal ensured the Westerns went in 1-05 to 1-02 in front.

The opening ten minutes of the second half proved fruitful for the Westerns as they outscored Wolfe Tones 0-4 to 0-1 to extend their lead. Campbell and Anthony Durnin notched 0-02 each. However, two goals in four minutes from the away side saw them get back within touching distance and from that point onwards, the teams swapped scores as the game ebbed back and forth.

Sweeney’s 54th minute point was cancelled out with two minutes remaining but after the Wolfe Tones had a man sent off, there was time for Baylon to come to the rescue, prevent extra-time and sent his side through to the final.

WESTERNS GFC: Jonny Brennan, Mick Martin, James Ward, PJ Marron, Sean McGuinness, Stephen Boylan, Liam Hoey, Terence Sweeney (0-04), Dylan Ogle, Andy Kerr (0-01), Anthony Durnin (0-02), Ciaran Scriven (0-02), Ciaran Campbell (1-02), Trevor Baylon (0-02), Conor Kerr (0-01).

Subs: Lorcan Donnelly for Ciaran Campbell

Over in Ballybailie on a glorious summer’s evening, the Mitchels enjoyed their biggest win of the campaign thus far as they comfortably beat St Nicholas at Pairc Sean Misteal by a scorelines of 2-20 to 0-12.

The Drogheda men were no match for the Mitchels who put aside their league struggles to blast their way into the final. Robbie Coyle and midfielder Aaron Keely got the Mitchels goals while Kevin Gallagher was on blistering form, scoring 0-08 from half forward. Subs Brendan McDonnell and Ryan Carroll notched 0-05 late on as St Nicholas offered little resistance as the Mitchels marched on.

In a marked contrast to their league struggles, the Mitchels have now notched 7-27 en route to the final of the Kevin Mullen Plate final and they will fancy their chances of adding the Plate to their roll of honour but the Westerns will surely prove a stern test in a hostly contestant local affair.

JOHN MITCHELS: David Anderson, Mitchell Keenan, Emmett Farrell, Gareth Finnegan, Aaron Kane, Alan Mackin, Connall Keenan, James Clarke, Aaron Keely (1-00), Kevin Gallagher (0-08), Neill Reilly (0-01), Anthony Coyle (0-01), Ben O’Brien (0-02), Robbie Coyle (1-03), Mikey Nulty.

Subs: Rory Durnin, Ryan Carroll (0-02), Brendan McDonnell (0-03).

Hunterstown Rovers moved one step closer to a second successive Paddy Sheelan Shield final on Friday as they beat Oliver Plunketts 1-15 to 0-12. The two teams met seven days earlier in Division 2 league action but after that stalemate, Rovers had enough in the tank to edge the men from Mell.

Alan Landy struck 1-02, including a 7th minute goal, as Rovers held a three point advantage at the break. Welcoming Tony McKenna back into the side, Jim Mathews also called upon Robbie Reynolds in goal and pushed Ryan Ward into a forward role.

Glen Mathews added four second half points to his tally as Rovers extended their lead in the second half while Paddy Mathews notched 0-03 overall as Rovers got the job done. There’s no time to rest on their laurels for Hunterstown now as semi-final takes place on Tuesday against the Gerlaldines. The winner will face Cooley Kickhams.

HUNTERSTOWN ROVERS: Robert Reynolds, Paul Taaffe, Brian Mathews, Martin Lennon, Richard Taaffe, Paul Carrie, Paddy Taaffe, Tony McKenna, David Finn (0-02), Ryan Ward, Padraig Mathews (0-01), Patrick Matthews (0-03), Alan Landy (1-02), Brendan Lennon (0-01), Glen Mathews (0-06).

Subs: Eddie Burke for Alan Landy (39), Robbie McNeice (47).

A last gasp penalty from Barry O’Hare denied Sean McDermotts a place in the Kevin Mullen Shield final as Roche Emmets edged a dramatic encounter 2-07 to 1-08. Coming into the game the more fancied outfit, Roche are unbeaten in all competitions and among the favourites for league and championship honours in 2017.

However, the Dundalk side were given a wake up call as the Seans competed well across the pitch with Ciaran McMahon, David Balfe and Leigh Ross impressing. The result was harsh on the home team. The Seans trailed by 0-04 at the break but scored six unanswered points in the second half to lead by one score at the death.

Tony Kelly got the Sean McDermotts goal while Kevin McMahon scored 0-03 himself but when Kevin Levins pointed to the spot in injury time, O’Hare slotted home and the game was up.

SEAN MCDERMOTTS: Mark McEneaney, David Balfe, Ciaran McMahon, Kevin McGahon, Alan O’Neill, Kevin Carroll, Leigh Ross, Patrick Osborne, Ronan Curran, Ian Corbally (0-02), Sean McMahon (0-01), David O’Neill (0-02), Peter Osborne, Tony Kelly (1-0), Kevin McMahon (0-03).

Subs: Brian Melia, Niall McEneaney, Brendan McGahon.

Where the Seans failed,Gylde Rangers succeeded. Roche will now provide the opposition for the Tallanstown men in the Kevin Mullen Shield final after they just managed to hang on against St Kevins of Philipstown to win 2-17 to 4-08.

Early on, Kevin’s fast paced half forward line was causing all sorts of problems for the Glyde defence and this was underlined after eight minutes when Cian Callan scored the first of his three goals. However, after injuries to key Kevins men, Glyde’s midfield pairing of David Devanney and Ciaran Sheridan took a hold of the game.

Glyde scored four unanswered points before Sheridan finished off a long run from midfield to crack home a shot into the left hand corner. Whilst the Kevins responded, the excellent Gavin Duffy hit a long range point to leave Glyde ahead by three at half time. That was to be Duffy’s last action as he retired injured at half time to be replaced by Barry Sharkey.

Callan’s second goal levelled matters but Glyde again took to the task and replied with 1-02 in the next two minutes after the break, Niall Sharkey fisting into the net from a long punt by Trevor O’Brien. O’Brien grew in influence and scored five points in the second half, six in total. 12 minutes in, Kevin’s won a penalty for an innocuous challenge on Callan and he duly stepped up to take the kick. Glyde goalie, David Brennan, got down well to save.

The visitors hit back when first Callanhit the back of the net despite the best efforts of Brennan. Then Kevin’s were awarded another penalty. Again Brennan saved, but this time Patrick Clarke followed up and scored on the rebound. Another score reduced the deficit further but Dion Conlon kept his cool and slotted over two points to give Glyde a three point cushion at the final whistle.

GLYDE RANGERS: David Brennan, Conor McCullough, Cein Sheridan, Peter Duffy, Aaron Devlin, Mark O’Brien, JP Boyle, Ciaran Sheridan (1-01), David Devanney (0-02), Dion Conlon (0-03), Conor Sheridan, Alan Brennan, Trevor O’Brien (0-06), Niall Sharkey (1-02), Gavin Duffy (0-01).

Subs: Barry Sharkey (0-02), Barry Brennan.

Friday’s Louth GAA Results

  • Paddy Sheelan Shield Quarter Final
    Hunterstown Rovers 1-15 Oliver Plunketts 0-12
  • Kevin Mullen Shield Semi Final
    Sean McDermotts 1-8 Roche Emmets 2-7
  • Kevin Mullen Shield Semi Final
    Glyde Rangers 2-17 St. Kevins 4-8
  • Kevin Mullen Plate Semi Final
    Westerns 1-13 Wolfe Tones 3-5
  • Kevin Mullen Plate Semi Final
    John Mitchels 2-20 St. Nicholas 0-10

Loading comments...