• Sport

Seans claim victory despite late Mitchels rally

Tony Kelly (Sean McDermotts) takes on Emmett Farrell (John Mitchels). Photo Credit: Adrian Crawley.
This article originally appeared on ThisIsArdee.ie

Sean McDermotts condemned John Mitchels to their fourth league defeat of the season on Friday night, after a hard fought 2-14 to 1-15 win at Páirc Mac Diarmada.

The Mitchels will be left ruing two quick fire goals they conceded to their hosts midway though the first half, which killed the Ballybaile men’s early momentum.


Strong performances from Kevin Gallagher (1-8) and Robbie Coyle (0-5) couldn’t prevent the Mountrush side grabbing the win over their local rivals, as the Osborne brothers – Peter (2-2) and Patrick – proved instrumental for the Seans throughout.

Both sides notched quick scores in the game, with the Mitchels grabbing the early lead of 0-2 to 0-1, courtesy of points from Gallagher and Robbie Coyle.

Then, attacking the clubhouse end, the away side were awarded a free kick, which was duly scored by half forward Gallagher.

After being on the wrong end of fast starters Glyde last week, the Mitchels were at it themselves as two successive points followed.

First Robbie Coyle pointed from close range after a nice lay off from Steven Coyle, before Aaron Keely hit one between the posts. The home side needed a reaction, trailing 0-1 to 0-5 with just 15 minutes played.

The reaction came with the Seans scoring a much needed point, despite almost conceding a goal at the other end.

Much better was to come for them as just two minutes after that they grabbed not one but two goals within the space of a minute – both from the impressive Peter Osborne.

First he broke free on the left and shot nicely into the bottom corner before the Mitchels’ defence went AWOL and allowed the Seans’ No.13 to poach home his second. An astonishing turnaround. Seans led 2-2 to 0-5.

Peter Osborne scored the game’s opening goal

An immediate response almost arrived when Mikey Nulty broke free from Kevin McGahon to square the ball across the Seans’ penalty area, where Barry Kirk and Keely both had goal bound shots blocked brilliantly by the home side’s defence and keeper Mark McEneaney.

The Mitchels’ heads dropped and quickfire scores from David O’Neill, Peter Osborne, Ian Corbally and Tony Kelly saw the margin extend further – 2-6 to 0-5.

Kevin Gallagher did manage to pull one back soon after but the Seans were still on top, with Sean McMahon, Patrick Osborne and Emmett Duffy combining well in the middle of the pitch.

The home side could have been out of sight when Kevin McMahon found himself one-on-one with the Mitchels’ David Anderson, but his shot was cannoned into the keeper’s grasp.

Two further points – followed by another for Gallagher – as the Seans go into the break with a 2-8 to 0-7 lead. It was a chance to catch breath after a frantic first half.

The second half began as the first ended as O’Neill added to the Seans tally with an early point before the ever impressive Anderson then pulled off a fantastic stop to prevent a third goal for the home side – eventually restricting them to a hard earned point.

As the rain began to trickle down the game suddenly swung in the Mitchels’ favour. Following two nicely struck free kick scores from the left boot of Gallagher, the visitors gained momentum.

Defensive duo Mitchel Keenan and Emmett Farrell worked to clear a Seans threat but a nice passage of play saw midfielder Steven Coyle play through Gallagher on the right, who shot across McEneaney into the far corner.

Kevin Gallagher scores past Mark McEneaney

The Mitchels’ resurgence continued with three more points – two free kicks from Robbie Coyle and another from Gallagher.

Although the Seans did pull one back from Kevin McMahon, Ben O’Brien immediately added his name to the scoresheet with a nice score down the middle of the goals.

With only five minutes remaining victory hung in the balance, with the deficit reduced to one – 2-11 to 1-13 in favour of the Seans.

However, they would do enough to hold on for the win, responding to further points from both Gallagher and Robbie Coyle with three of their own. An end-to-end game ended in a Seans victory – 2-14 to 1-15.

The win lifts Sean McDermotts into sixth place after Round 5 – equidistant (four points) from the leaders and the bottom side in Division 3. Defeat for John Mitchels means they remain in trouble, second from bottom ahead of Dowdallshill.

JOHN MITCHELS: David Anderson, Mitchell Keenan, Emmett Farrell, Anthony Coyle, Aaron Kane, Alan Mackin, Ryan Carroll, Steven Coyle, James Clarke, Kevin Gallagher (1-8), Ben O’Brien (0-1), Aaron Keely (0-1), Barry Kirk, Robbie Coyle (0-5), Mikey Nulty

Subs: Gareth Finnegan (for Anthony Coyle), Connell Keenan (for Alan Mackin)

SEANS: Mark McEneaney, Alan O’Neill, Ciaran McMahon, Kevin McGahon, Danny Reilly, Sean McMahon (0-1), Danny Commins, Patrick Osborne, Emmett Duffy, Ian Corbally (0-1), Kevin Carroll, David O’Neill (0-4), Peter Osborne (2-2), Tony Kelly (0-2), Kevin McMahon (0-3)

Subs: Lee Ross, B J Matthews, Aaron Myles, Niall McEneaney, Brian Melia, Lorcan Myles (0-1)

Don’t forget we’ll have a full gallery of images from the match on ThisIsArdee.ie and on Facebook later on Saturday so be sure to check it out. 

Loading comments...