• Sport

GAA Round-Up: Points for Seans, Rovers and Glyde

Ian Corbally, Ryan Carroll, Brendan Lennon, Trevor O'Brien and Tommy Durnin.
This article originally appeared on ThisIsArdee.ie
On a busy weekend of GAA action, there were wins for Hunterstown Rovers, Ardee St Marys and Glyde Rangers while the Sean McDermotts picked up their first point of the Division 3 campaign. Read how they got on in our GAA round-up.


On Thursday evening, John Mitchels fell to defeat against St Brides B in Knockbridge. The Ballybailie man – who celebrate their 60th anniversary Diamond Jubilee tonight – failed to build on their dramatic win over Dowdallshill last weekend as they were comfortably beaten in their third league outing of the season.


The Mitchels made four changes from their outing four days previous but they stuggled to keep up with the hosts, down seven points at the break 0-10 to 0-03. In a low scoring second half, the Brides netted to extend their lead and see out the victory – 1-11 to 0-05.

Gareth Kane notched two points on his return to the team while Kevin Gallagher also scored 0-02 and Mikey Nulty got the other point. The Mitchels had goalkeeper Anderson to thank for keeping the score down, while Nulty and half-back Aaron Kane also impressed.

JOHN MITCHELS: David Anderson, Conal Keenan, Alan Mackin, Gareth Finnegan, Ryan Carroll, Aaron Kane, Sam Bingham, Steven Coyle, Kevin Gallagher (0-02), Anthony Coyle, Anthony Coyle, Gareth Kane (0-02), Mikey Nulty (0-01), Barry Kirk, Brian Coyle.

Elsewhere on Thursday, the Sean McDermotts bounced back from their heavy defeat away to Roche Emmets at the weekend by earning the first point of the league campaign at Pairc Mac Diarmada – playing out a 0-13 to 1-10 draw with Naomh Mairtin.

This one was a tight affair throughout with nothing separating the two sides as the final scoreline suggests. They matched eachother virtually score for score with in-form David O’Neill scoring five of the Seans 0-13 total. The home side held a one point lead at the interval but despite Karl Morgan’s goal, the teams saw out the stalemate after an hour’s play.

Tony Kelly scored 0-03 for the Seans while five other players all had scores to their name. Both sides are still without victories in the league with three games played.

SEAN MCDERMOTTS: Alan O’Neill, Danny Reilly, Ciaran McMahon, Kevin McGahon, Lorcan Ludden (0-01), Sean McMahon (0-01), Peter Osbourne (0-01), Patrick Osbourne, Ronan Curran, Ian Corbally, Kevin Carroll (0-01), Lee Ross, David O’Neill (0-05), Tony Kelly (0-03), BJ Matthews (0-01).

Subs: Shane Kelly, Aaron Myles, Phelim Myles, Brian Melia, Stephen Carrie, Brendan McGahon.

The following evening, there was a local clash in Division 3 as the Westerns made the short hop from Reaghstown to Tallanstown to face Glyde Rangers – a clash in which Glyde emerged victorious 1-12 to 0-09.

Glyde stretched their unbeaten start to the season in all competitions to seven games as they overcame Westerns in a tense and tight affair – in which Tommy Durnin scored six of the Reaghstown sides 0-09.

The Westerns shot out of the blocks and were two points up after only 2 minutes as Anthony Durnin scored after Tommy Durnin struck. Glyde hit back with a Trevor O’Brien free and Gavin Duffy scored a long range effort to level. The home side were on top but laboured for scores with the Westerns packing their back line to good effect.

David Devanney contributed the first of his two points before Brian Duffy and Dion Conlon helped Glyde into a single point half time advantage of 0-6 to 0-5. Durnin and Johnny Lynch were on target for the away side.

Playing into the village end, Glyde dominated the second half. Niall Sharkey’s pace from wing back had the Westerns defence scrambling and Ciaran Sheridan and Durnin were having a good battle in midfield. The Westerns attack scored just four points after the break – all from frees and all from Durnin.

Glyde got their goal after 42 minutes as Conor Sheridan collected inside the 21, layed off to Trevor O’Brien who then kept his cool and gave a short hand pass to Brian Duffy. He slotted the ball past John Brennan. Durnin kept the visitors ticking over with his frees and Glyde continuously kicked wide after wide, finsihing with 13 wides in total. The game could have been finished much earlier.

Late scores from Devanney and Mark O’Brien extended the home lead. Cein Sheridan impressed at full back as did Conor McGuill and Fiachra Sheridan. Outside of the prolific Durnin, Western players Colm Martin and Dylan Ogle impressed also.

GLYDE RANGERS: David Brennan, Fiachra Sheridan, Cein Sheridan, Gerard Farrell, Conor McGuill, Mark O’Brien (0-01), Niall Sharkey (0-02), David Devanney (0-02), Ciaran Sheridan, Aaron Devlin, Conor Sheridan, Dion Conlon (0-01), Trevor O’Brien (0-01), Brian Duffy (1-03), Gavin Duffy (0-02).

Subs Used: Barry Sharkey, Peter Duffy.

WESTERNS GFC: John Brennan, Shane Matthews, James Ward, John Murray, Sean McGuinness, Dylan Ogle, Colm Martin, Tommy Durnin (0-06), Anthony Durnin (0-01), Ciaran Scriven, Trevor Baylon, Andrew Kerr, Michael Maher, Gerry Curtis, John Lynch (0-01).

Subs Used: Terrence Sweeney, Sean Pepper.

Hunterstown Rovers continued their blistering start to the 2017 Division 2 campaign in front of a home crowd as they put O’Connell’s to the sword – 2-18 to 0-04.

Jim Mathews’ started round three sitting at the top of the table and they remain there after a third straight win. Following on in the same vein as their previous outings against O’Raghallaighs and Dundalk Young Irelands, Rovers ran out comfortable winners and racked up a big score in doing so.

Not that they missed him last time around, Ryan Burns was welcomed back into the fold at Pairc Baile Fiach and he topscored on the night, including hitting the back of the net in a first half were Hunterstown racked up a seemingly unassailable 12 point lead.

Brendan Lennon took just 26 seconds to get the game’s first score and Burns’ 14th minute goal was added to by a goal from David Finn six minutes later. Burns, Alan Landy and Padraig Mathews all hit 0-02 in the first half as Rovers roared ahead – and the men from Castlebellingham had no response.

The second half was a tighter affair but the damage had been done and Hunterstown continue to set the pace in the league. They’ve now notched 7-46 in just three league matches this term.

HUNTERSTOWN ROVERS: Niall Carrie, Richard Cunningham, Brian Mathews, Martin Lennon, Keith Brennan, Muiris O’Suilleabhain, Patrick Taaffe, Tony McKenna (0-01), David Finn (1-02), Brendan Lennon (0-02), Padraig Mathews (0-03), Paddy Mooney, Alan Landy (0-06), Ryan Burns (1-04), Glen Mathews. 

Finally in Division 1, Ardee St Marys edged out Dundalk Gaels in a low scoring encounter 0-09 to 0-08 at Pairc Muire on Friday evening. In a match that won’t be fondly remembered for the attacking quality on show – though the Marys were busy and defended resolutley – the home team had Robbie Leavy to thank for his last gasp winner which secured back-to-back home wins for Blues, who played in red.

You can read the comprehensive match report from the game by clicking here.

ARDEE ST MARYS: Peter Duffy, David Carroll, Niall Carroll, Barry McCoy, Conor Keenan, Eimhin Keenan (0-01), Niall Eccles, Daire McConnon (0-01), Robbie Leavy (0-01), Wayne Matthews, Paudy Clarke (0-02), Mark Fay, Alan Kirk (0-02), Kian Moran (0-01), Eamon Callaghan.

Subs: Shane Carroll (0-01) for Niall Carroll, Cian Commins for Paudy Clarke, Jamie Rooney for Cian Commins, Mark Gorman for David Carroll.

Loading comments...